Noise Action Week 2015: May 18th to 23rd
Noise prevention is cheaper than cure
for happier, healthier neighbourhoods support
Noise Action Week 2015
During Noise Action Week 2015 – May 18th – 23rd – local authorities, housing providers, mediation services, community support teams and others work to raise awareness of noise. We do this on a tiny budget and any support you can offer is very welcome.
Noise is never out of the news for long – whether it’s disputes between neighbours and music venues, barking dogs or teens with tinnitus. Raising awareness of noise is important because:
- We are all affected by noise – the number of people bothered by neighbour noise increased 17% 2002 – 2012
- Worldwide over a billion young people are at risk of hearing loss and tinnitus due to exposure to loud audio
- Noise is an indicator of public health used to inform government policy in England (If you have a problem, let your council and/or housing provider know – the problem is under reported)
- Investigating noise complaints costs local councils £130 – £7k per complaint
- Reducing problem noise costs council tax payers – prevention is cheaper than cure – so using Noise Action Week to promote education about noise is in all our interests
Noise Action Week is co-ordinated by Environmental Protection UK who work year round supporting the work of professionals in noise management. It is supported by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health and Environmental Protection Scotland and, hopefully, you.